Sunday, June 6, 2010

Calbee Potato Chips Usushio flavor - My Favorite Japanese Foods (No.6)

Yes, this is very standard potato chips for the Japanese in Japan - Calbee potato chips usushio flavor. This is my favorite Japanese foods :) As you know, I'm not so fond of junk foods. But I can't just ignore this very typical Japanese snack...

By the way, "Usushio" means "Lightly salted" in Japanese. This Calbee potato chips "Usushio" flavor is VERY lightly or LITTLE salted for you -even for me now, though I'm 100 % Japanese born in Japan. People who used to eat "Lay's" will be surprised how little they use salt for it... When I had it in Japan, I thought this was a bit salty. I've lived in US for a long while and am so used to eat VERY salty potato chips and foods here. ( I mean everything here is too salty or too sweet....) When I had this in US, I was so surprised how little salt I could taste and how much my taste bud can change by living here and changing diets... My taste palette used to be much more sensitive or delicate.... :(

This "Usushio" is the standard flavor among their potato chip lines. There are many other flavors: Consommé punch, Nori Shio, Shoyu & Mayo, pepper etc. They are all good. As other typical hit food products in Japan, there are many "area limited" flavors: Shoyu & Butter, Konbu (Kelp) & Shoyu, Kyushu (Southern part of Japan) Shoyu etc. Typical, typical, typical.... The Japanese love that "limited" stuff. They can't help trying new and different stuff... Those words tickle our curiosities... I don't know why... We just love something "SPECIAL" and "LIMITED"... lol

My friend's father (Osamu Harada), who is very famous illustrator in Japan,  designed this famous potato character. My friend told me about it one day and I remembered I thought WOW.... Because I believe ALL THE JAPANESE know this character and the chips.

Most of the Japanese care about dieting but do eat a junk food like this. They know it's all about moderation. Their foods are used obviously less salt than ones in US. This Calbee potato chips Usushio flavor always reminds me of it. The Japanese love to enjoy the tastes of the ingredients themselves. Subtle seasoning is almost always good for them. I thought "Usushio" is so "JAPANESE" stuff.... lol. My favorite Japanese foods will continue....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dear, are you truly visiting this website daily, if so after that you will definitely get good knowledge.

    ----------------------------
    Bike Transport in Pune

    ReplyDelete